At JUUL Labs, we take the quality of our products seriously. We design with compliance in mind, testing throughout the development process and continuing to test once products go into production.
We hold our technology to high category standards:
- We test for reliability and operational consistency in both individual battery packs and at the larger systems level, including impact and drop testing as well as forced failure, all of which meet international safety standards, such as IEC 62133, UL 1642, and IEC 60335.
ELECTRICAL TESTING STANDARDS
- We test for electromagnetic compatibility, meeting or exceeding requirements for both radiating energy and safely absorbing it (immunity).
RADIATED EMISSIONS AND IMMUNITY TESTING AND STANDARDS
- We test for and meet international radiated emission, immunity and safety standards, like CISPR 22, IEC 60335, and IEC 61000-4-2/3/4/5/6/8/11.
HARDWARE RELIABILITY STANDARDS
- We routinely conduct hardware tests for reliability and safety in real-world scenarios, such as impact and drop testing.
HARDWARE MATERIALS STANDARDS
- We follow and conform to California Proposition 65 and the European Union’s RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) regarding the use of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
We maintain a JUUL Country-Specific list that prohibits any ingredients.
- In the US, chemicals that appear on the FDA Harmful and Potentially Harmful Constituents (HPHCs) list, the JUUL Disqualified Ingredients List, or are considered substances with Carcinogenic, Mutagenic, or Reprotoxic properties (CMRs) as provided by Annex VI of the European Chemicals Agency Classification, Labeling, and Packaging Regulation ((EC) No 1272/2008).
- Outside the US, we comply with the above requirements in addition to the applicable country-specific list.
- In the US, we follow Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards with regards to questionable chemicals and when such chemicals are used by other companies in the industry, we ensure a total amount which is tenfold less than the standard requirements of those companies.
- We employ a safety evaluation and advisory committee to review all materials in our products.
- We have strict policies governing the amount of any chemical allowed in our products.
- We routinely perform toxicology testing to ensure no chemical in our products exceeds those established policies.
VAPOUR TESTING STANDARDS
- We perform temperature regulation testing to ensure our e-liquid heats to a vapourization standard that avoids combustion and does not include chemicals that form in high temperature combustion.
- We routinely test our vapour to ensure that it meets our strict working standards.
- We deploy tasting panels of trained users to ensure consistent flavor from batch to batch.
- We perform toxicology testing on both the e-liquid and the resulting vapour following its vapourization through our heating products.
SUPPLIER CONTROLS THROUGH SUPPLY CHAIN
- We maintain agreements with our suppliers requiring strict and precise testing on the component products they supply to our manufacturing partners.
- We manage a program of supplier visits and recurring audits of their factories, including systems and practices in place for maintaining quality.
- We maintain an approved vendor list to ensure only those companies that meet our quality standards are allowed to enter our supply chain system.
- We maintain agreements with our finished-goods suppliers requiring strict adherence to our standards of quality.
PROCESS FOR HEALTH EVENT COMPLAINTS
- We maintain a formal process and review board for complaints.
- All complaints suspected of having a health component are reviewed by medical professionals on a weekly basis and escalated as appropriate.
- We model our own hazard assessment on Health Canada's medical industry assessment.
While developing JUUL, we had the opportunity to reference ten years of data on e-cigarette products in-market and use the latest technology to innovate beyond those products to develop what we believe is an appropriate JUUL product profile. While we base our product decisions on existing research, in order to drive innovation, we simultaneously conduct our own research to understand future opportunities for product development. Since e-cigarettes have only been commercially available for a few years, just like any other vapour product, there are some things we don't know about JUUL simply because it has only been on the market since 2015. We are committed to ongoing research and innovation in vapour technology.